HMP Altcourse has developed a travel plan in conjunction with the Liverpool City Council and TravelWise Merseyside.
A Travel Plan is a site-specific policy and action plan for managing transport effectively, with the aim of improving access to a site by all modes of travel, improving choices for everyone. By implementing a Travel Plan you can address several transport issues: commuting, business travel, fleet management, business deliveries and transport contracts. It is a package of practical measures, a mixture of incentives and disincentives, developed by employers and employees with the aim of reducing car dependency and encouraging the use of sustainable modes of transport. The plan can include improved bicycle facilities, car sharing schemes, support for public transport or changes in parking provision.
We have formed a partnership with TravelWise Merseyside to develop strategies for reducing single occupancy car trips for both staff and visitors by 20% over a 5 year period. An action team has been establish to lead on the travel plan and implement it's initiatives.
Our action plan has been developed to achieve this target which includes actions such as:
- Travel Plan information included as part or recruitment and induction process.
- Improving facilities on site for cyclists, walkers e.g. storage facilities, lockers, showers, pathways etc.
- Establish a Bike Users Group. Establish discounts for bikes/equipment with local bike shops.
- Investigating interest free loans for public transport tickets and bikes.
- Increased notice boards throughout the establishment, providing information to staff and visitors about alternatives to car driving.
- Making leaflets available to staff and visitors giving information about alternative promotions for things like cycling.
- Discussions with Liverpool City Council about improving the cycle paths around the prison.
- Introducing car-sharing information for staff, which may be extended to include Fazackerly University Hospital .
- Registration of all staff vehicles to assist with future surveys and car parking initiatives.
- Carrying out staff surveys to measure our improvements
For more information on the travel plan or if you would like to get involved please contact John Arnold on
0151 5222000 ext 2119.